Thursday 12 July 2012

A post to get us through Friday: Istanbul, Turkey

Blue Mosque

Whenever I hear people planning their trips to Europe, I always make sure to suggest that Istanbul is a city not to be overlooked.


I honestly had such an amazing time while there, and the nightlife was amazing. I never expected that when I was researching it. I had never visited a country that was a secular state, so I guess I didn't think it would be exactly a 24 hour party city. I was wrong !!
Inside the Blue Mosque


Now aside from the partying, Istanbul is a great city to visit for History, Architecture, Shopping. I mean I learned how to bargain for an amazing necklace at the Grand Bazaar, and the Blue Mosque took my breath away. If you go in colder months you can enjoy the turkish baths.


I was lucky to stay with my friend who was living there at the time, and she was able to show my friends and I the better parts of Istanbul (including the night life). You must go to Taksim, honestly you can party all night, we went to this awesome club that had something like 4 levels.


Also, if you go to Istanbul I strongly suggest staying in Taksim, its less touristy, you get amazing views of the Bosphorus, eat where locals eat. And you aren't that far from the main sights of Istanbul by tram.


TRAVEL TIP: The best places to grab a drink in Taksim are the small, back door type bars, if you think a door won't lead to anything, trust me open the door and chances are its a bar. **Use some discretion though, I don't want you walking into some person's house.


TRAVEL TIP #2: You wont' be able to access YouTube whilst in Istanbul, just a heads up.
View of Istanbul from the Bosphorus

No comments:

Post a Comment