Thursday 5 July 2012

A year ago: Ahmedabad, India

Its hard to believe that exactly a year ago I was traveling through India. My trip took me from Delhi to Agra (Taj Mahal), to Ahmedabad (for my friends wedding). Then to Mumbai, Jaipur and back to Delhi. 


Everyone hears about the big Cities in India, but today I am going to focus on Ahmedabad, in Western India, about an hour flight from Delhi. 


Traffic in Ahmedabad

Ghandi's Ashram in Ahmedabad
Ahmedabad was also home to Gandhi, within the City is the Gandhi Ashram  and without a doubt the Ashram is the most peaceful place in India. You feel like you are in the middle of paradise, when in reality you are in the middle of complete chaos. I spent about 2 hours in the ashram just walking around, taking photos, learning more about Gandhi, it was superbly invigorating. Exactly what I needed at this point in my trip.


Hutheesing Jain Temple, Ahmedabad
After the ashram, I asked my rickshaw driver to bring me to the Step Wells, as per my Lonely Planet, the rickshaw driver had another idea, and brought me to the Hutheesing Jain Temple, it had just finished raining (I was there during the monsoon season afterall). 


Please note: During this trip I was reading Eat, Pray, Love -- in Ahmedabad I was in between "eat" and "pray" and felt this was the perfect City to have my "pray" part of the trip.


Its unfortunate I couldn't take photos inside the temple, but I channeled my inner Elizabeth Gilbert and took the entire experience in, got my feet wet, literally because you aren't allowed to wear shoes in the temple. Again, more peace was had, so it was a completely unexpected visit to a great Temple. Sometime you just have to go with the rickshaw driver, who doesn't speak english, and just trust him. Unless of course, he's trying to bring you to a "special place" and its a little too friendly at the ATM, but that is another story for another day.


And finally, this picture was the last piece of Ahmedabad before I flew off to Mumbai. After a crazy weekend full of an amazing Hindu wedding, the calmness of the River was a perfect way to bid adieu to Ahmedabad. 

Sabarmati River in Ahmedabad at Dusk




1 comment: