Sunday 17 June 2012

Eating through India - Allergy Style

When I first started considering going traveling in India, the thought never crossed my mind that I would have a problem eating the fabulous Indian cuisine. That carefree attitude stopped when my friends informed me that a lot of curries are made with nuts in India.

My friends taught me the word to use for nuts, its "sing" - I am sure I butchered the spelling, but the pronunciation is exactly that.

Thinking I had all of the information with me, plus my epi-pen, benadryl and my trusty lonely planet guide, I thought it was going to be super easy and I would be able to eat safely.

Then, I got to India, where everything changed. I went into anxiety mode, and just didn't eat, because I was paranoid if any of the foods came into contact with peanuts/nuts. So I just started to eat corn flakes, and obviously drank a ton of water. 

But then after Day 3 of that eating pattern, I realized if I wanted to survive 2 weeks in India during the Monsoon/Extreme heat I would need to find a better option. So then I started to evaluate my food options, and decided upon anything from a Western chain (hotel or restaurant) would be the safest route. I literally thought that McDonald's and hotel chains wouldn't want to make people sick with an anaphylactic reaction, and I was right !! 

So was I able to taste all of the amazing Indian street foods? World famous curries? Nope, but I was ok with it, I did go to a pretty decent Italian restaurant in Jaipur, so that's a pretty solid food travel experience if I do say so myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment