Monday 11 June 2012

Surprise Visits: Verona, Italy

Have you ever been to a place that has completely surprised you? Or you never expected it to be a great place? 


Admittedly that was my attitude towards a quick one night stop in Verona, Italy. It was a pit stop between travelling by train from Venice to Milan, my friend and I had arrived there in the late afternoon, then catching an early morning train to Milan the next day. Even though we didn't have a lot of time, it was the perfect time to visit Verona, I am convinced that town is meant to be seen in the evening.


Well, well, well, I shouldn't have overlooked Verona, it knocked my socks off, its a small town that just oozes romance and Shakespeare. Time slows down as you walk through the town, it was so different from any part of Italy I had visited. We were staying close to the train station, which ended up being the perfect starting point for a nice walk into the city. LIterally every few minutes something jumps out at you that is so interesting. 





The Piazza del Signori, is easily one of my favorite squares in Europe, its small, personal and gives off so much warmth. Also, unlike most Italian town squares, the restaurants in the square were actually appealing and it was a tough choice on deciding which one to settle on.


The big draw in Verona is Juliet's balcony, and the letters to Juliet. Which is just beside the piazza, and I loved it !! Juliet is there, and you can hang out with her, chat, hopefully she will give you a glimmer of hope that your single days are over. 


I'm fairly certain my friend and I wrote a letter to Juliet/love, it worked amazing for my friend she was engaged the next year !!!






TRAVEL TIP: Go to Verona, make it a stop on your trip to Italy, you won't regret it !!

No comments:

Post a Comment