Tuesday 5 June 2012

Interlaken: The land of chocolate (and mountains)



Interlaken is in Southern Switzerland, it took me about 4 hours by train from Milan. It looks exactly how you would picture a cute swiss town, with the mountains serving as a gorgeous backdrop. Also, super expensive, since I had just arrived from Italy (where I was eating copious amounts of pasta, pizza) I was starving. So I found a cute little pizzeria that was open, after spending the equivalent of $40 cdn on a mediocre pizza, I realized "ok I need to find cheaper options". Before I found the best food option, I decided to spend $25 cdn on a Big Mac meal at the McDonald's, my excuse was the fresh mountain air?

TRAVEL TIP: To eat and still have amazing food on a budget in Switzerland, I highly recommend going to the bakeries/patisseries and buying their croissants, little sandwiches, tarts etc. For about $5 cdn you can have a pretty awesome "meal", if you don't mind a lot of butter, but you're on vacation so what's some butter !!

On to chocolate....

Schuh's storefront  
The chocolate knowledge session 
I love chocolate, like so much, so when I decided to go to Switzerland for a few days I thought, well awesome 3 days in heaven. My first stop in Switzerland was Interlaken, I was originally looking forward to zorbing, but I was a few days late and zorbing season had ended. So I needed to find an activity to pass my time (I was travelling alone at this point), while walking through town I stumbled upon Schuh and found the land of chocolate, and I found out that they held chocolate making classes. Hello chocolate heaven.

My chocolate truffle,
made by me at Schuh
On to the class, at first I was apprehensive because I thought I wouldn't be able eat any of the chocolate because of my nut allergy. But since they are so awesome, it was a nut free tour !! We learned all about chocolate, the bean, how ganache is made (not going to lie I stared at the ganache machine approximately 75% of the time). Then the awesome part started, we got to make our own truffles and then eat them !! I was on cloud 9. 

Needless to say, I bought a lot of chocolate from this place for my friends and family.

I highly recommend this chocolate making experience !!

No comments:

Post a Comment